There are so many flood lights available in the market today, many of which are designed to last throughout the night and provide illumination from dusk to dawn. This can make it difficult to choose the right lamp for your application and it can be easy to just choose the flood light with the highest lumen output or longest battery life.
But what should you look for when choosing the best flood light?
When choosing a floodlight for all night use it’s wise to consider the area you need illuminating, power supply, ideal brightness levels, colour temperature, and, if required, the sensor type. It’s also important to consider the surrounding area and the level of security you may need.
Here are some tips to help you choose the right floodlight for your needs:
- Brightness – Flood Light brightness is going to be an important consideration if you’re going to be using it at night and will depend greatly on your requirements. If you only need enough light for moving between locations then you won’t need the flood light to be as bright as if you needed to perform complex tasks in the dark. Look for a floodlight with a high enough lumen output for the task you need illuminating to ensure it meets your needs.
- Colour Temperature – The colour temperature of your new flood can affect how you perceive your surroundings at nighttime. Warmer colour temperatures (approximately 2700K) can create a more welcoming and cosy atmosphere, whereas cooler colour temperatures (approximately 5000K) provide a brighter appearing, more crisp light.
- Motion Sensor – If your new nighttime light isn’t going to need to be on all through the night but only when needed, you could consider a floodlight with a motion sensor. This could make your lighting needs more energy efficient and may provide added security. Motion sensor lights ensure the light is only switched on when motion is detected and turn it off when the motion stops.
- Durability – Floodlights made from durable materials are more equipped to withstand harsh weather conditions, which could be crucial for your floodlight if you’re using it outdoors. Pay particular attention to the IP (Ingress Protection) rating of the light, which will tell you the level of protection it provides against dust and water ingress.
- Energy Efficiency – With rising energy prices, energy efficiency is likely a consideration. If you’re going to be using your nighttime floodlight all through the night, you don’t want to install a lamp that’s going to cost the earth to run. Look for lights that use LED technology, as these are more energy efficient than their incandescent or halogen bulb counterparts.
- Price – Of course, price is going to be a major consideration. One of the best ways to approach this is to work out your lighting budget – how much you have available to spend on new floodlighting – and search for a floodlight that fits your budget. One important thing to bear in mind though is that many cheap models will not be made from the sturdiest of materials, have a high IP rating, or last as long as some models that cost a bit more. Sometimes it’s wiser to spend a little more upfront in order to save more money down the road with replacement lights, bulbs, or repairs, not to mention the potential cost of downtime in the event of insufficient lighting.
By considering the above points, you can narrow down your search and choose a nighttime floodlight that meets your needs and provides the right level of illumination for the area you need lit.
The CORE Flood is a great floodlight for outdoor nighttime use!
Not that we’re biased, but the CORE Flood is a popular outdoor floodlight that is designed to provide bright and efficient lighting for outdoor spaces at night. It’s a great option for illuminating large areas like fields, outdoor yards, horse arenas, and outdoor working areas.
A major benefit of the CORE floodlight is the energy efficiency. Because it uses LED technology, it has a longer lifespan and lower power consumption than halogen or incandescent equivalent lights. This means that it can provide bright light throughout the night on a single charge of its portable battery unit – the 52Ah battery version can last up to 50 hours! Plenty of battery life to last from dusk till dawn!
Another great feature of the CORE Flood is its durability. It is made of rugged and durable materials and rated to IP65, making it designed for outdoor use, fully weatherproof, able withstand harsh weather conditions like rain and snow, and can operate in temperatures ranging from -20 to +50 degrees Celsius.
The compact battery pack, the lamp itself, and the optional tripod that is extendable up to 3.5m, can all be stored easily in the boot of a car.
Find out more about our CORE Flood and the options available.